Sunday, November 13, 2011
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Date: 19th January, 2011
Venue: Conference Room, KHMS
A Report by
Mrs. P. Datta
Kulachi Hansraj Model School
Ashok VIHAR, phase III
Environment at KHMS is more than an issue, it is a passion. The school is ISO EMS 14001:2004 certified school. The EMS system is the part of the overall management system that includes KHMS structure, activities, responsibilities, procedure, processes and resources for developing, implementing, achieving and maintaining the environmental policy.
Through this system we identify the Environmental aspects and work towards sustainable development, preservation and conservation of natural resources like water, canteen, toilets transport, waste management, Laboratories etc.
We have the Environment Protection Brigade- the members of “Vasundhara” – the paperless environment club of KHMS.
It gives me immense pleasure saying that my school, our school, Kulachi Hansraj Model School, is one of the lead Eco school of Delhi as selected by Department of Environment, NCT Delhi. The school makes the following efforts to develop and sustain healthy environment.
1) Our eco-club Vasundhara is a paperless club.
2) We make minimal use or no use of anything dealing with plastics.
3) We conserve water to the maximum we can.
4) Microanalysis kit in chemistry lab to minimize the use of chemicals.
5) Conducting various awareness programmes for students and teachers.
A successful TRAINING PROGRAMME FOR ATTACHED SCHOOLS was organized by our school for giving them an idea for why is our school typically environment friendly and how they can inculcate such measures in their school.
1 Lighting of Lamp- The programme began by lighting the lamp of knowledge by the esteemed Principal of the school Mrs. P. Datta, Headmistress and the invited teachers of attached school.
a’ its theme was ‘Love Nature, Respect Nature’.
3. Introduction of Eco Club of the school-
Headmistress Mrs Kaul, introduced ‘Vasundhara’ the Eco Club of our school, giving Details of the measures and activities undertaken by the students and staff of our school which help in building a future in which humans can live in harmony with nature. She pointed out that it is the children who are the true builders of a better tomorrow and by making a conscious effort to train them and inculcate in them the correct values, we can ensure that our future is in right hands.
4. Address by the Principal – The Principal of our school Mrs. P. Datta. She stressed the need for green school initiatives. She pointed out the concept of green school not only improves the health and energy efficiency of the school facility but also expand the recreational choice and opportunity for all the students. She reflected on the role of Vedic values and rituals in providing an eco friendly environment towards which our school is committed. She gave her blessing and best wishes to all participants for their eco-friendly & endeavours.
5. An annual report of the previous year activities of Vasundhara Club was presented by the President of the club by Abhineet Jain through a Power Point Presentation.
6. Presentation on Earthquake: Power Point
Presentation was given by Taksh student of Class XI F on the measures taken to mitigate the effect of disaster such as earthquake and to prepare the school and the students to combat natural calamities. PPT included reasoning, response, evacuation plan, rescue operation and evaluation of the measures taken by the school.
7. FIRST AID Measures- A detailed presentation of the need and various aspects of First Aid were given by the students of Class VIII followed by a live demonstration of some First-Aid Measures such as CPR, bandaging in case of fracture helping a person injured by an electric shock or in a road accident etc.
8. Poetry Recitation – Vishnupriya student of Class IX recited a self composed poem on global warming.
9. Street Play – Jal Hai to Kal Hai- Nukkad Natak based on conservation of water performed by the students of Eco-Club.
9. SITE TOUR- The invited teachers were then taken to a tour to the various sites show casing eco-friendly activities under taken by our school such as Roli-Poli to decompose the plant waste produced by the Home Science lab or by the canteen. Herbal Garden has been developed and is maintained by the students. Rain Water harvesting unit with four recharge structures ensures that rain water is harvested and used to raise the levels of ground water. Chemistry lab where micro analysis kit have been installed. This is to reduce wastage due to chemicals. Moreover the chemical effluents are collected, denatured and then put down into the drains. RO Plant and exhaust fans runs on wind energy, Solar Water heating Unit which supplies hot water to Home Sc. Lab and Staff rooms. Solar lights in the Yagyashala. Vermi compost unit allows us to recycle the biodegradable waste from the canteen and home science labs.
10. Mr Vikas Saini A National Youth Awardee from the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports Govt. of India. He is General Secretary Delhi National Youth Awardee Association. He is also a President of North Delhi Youth Club registered with Delhi Govt. He gave a lecture on various fire safety measures and the types of fire extinguisher to be used in different situation. He also gave a list of various helpline numbers. This was followed by a live demonstration of fire fighting activity.
The programme concluded by distribution of saplings to all the participating teachers which were to be planted in their respective school as a mark of growing respect of our mother nature.
Our school is determined to bring about a positive change in our environment by changing the mind sets of the students and prepare them to become ‘eco soldiers’ in their future lives.